We are looking for staff for our 2020 Summer Camp schedule:
We are currently seeking candidates for internship as Assistant Director, with opportunity for experience and training to become Camp Director. Initial internship to include assisting present Camp Director with educational programs during four weeks of nature study with children and teens, in June and July 2020. Tasks during camp sessions will include teaching nature subjects, serving as counselors of boys and girls, leading activities for up to 24 campers (age 8 to 16), and guiding campers to produce illustrations and written material for 16-page annual newsletter.
Future work as Camp Director may include development, expansion and oversight of all camp programs, budgeting and fundraising, staff search and training, administration of small nonprofit organization, as well as organizing and leading educational activities during camp sessions, including classes and outings for adults. Duties may possibly also include oversight of camp facilities, including buildings, gardens, trails and campsite, and associated tools and equipment.
Activities at this unique, small but growing day camp are almost all outdoors. We focus on nature observation and building a cooperative camp community. We seek to avoid abstract concepts, established scientific theories, reliance on technology and textbooks, and indoctrination of any sort. Candidates must be willing to attend camp-sponsored training and classes in our special approach to nature study and educational guidelines.
Desirable skills and experience:
• Strong background in nature observation and study.
• Ability to work with children with sensitivity to their needs, and to guide them in activities that are both engaging and real.
• Training, interest or experience related to Waldorf pedagogy, Goethean (phenomenological, experiential) science, community building, and direct observation of natural phenomena.
• $3,200 for initial internship (4 weeks plus training and planning meetings).
• Salary for permanent Camp Director position to be determined based on expansion of educational program, extent of facility work, and available funds.
Overview of Rapp Nature Camp programs and job descriptions are available at rappnaturecamp.org. Final selection of intern will require clear background check. Candidates please mail a Letter of Interest, along with resume, to: Camp Director, Rapp Nature Camp, P.O. Box 145, Sperryville, VA 22740. Applications and interviews now in progress.
We hold volunteer work parties once or twice a year to help get camp ready for the kids. If you have a relatively strong back, like to work outdoors in a beautiful space with fun people, let us know, and we’ll invite you to our next work party!